Re: [OM] Focusing Screens for work on an OM2n

Subject: Re: [OM] Focusing Screens for work on an OM2n
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:58:04 EST
In a message dated 01/19/2000 10:46:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bsandyman@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> I find myself doing more work wich requires deep
>  focus. The problem is that I can't check to see if the
>  DOF is right because the micro prism goes completly
>  dark! I understand that I can get a replacement screen
>  that gathers more light, and maybe one that doesn't
>  have the micor prism deal.

I don't find that the microprism helps much when checking DOF. I always check
DOF on the matte surface of the screen, and ignore the microprism (if I am
using a screen with a microprism).

You don't say which camera you use. If you are using one that meters off of
the submirror (OM-2S, OM-3, OM-3Ti, OM-4 or OM-4Ti), get yourself a 2-4
screen. There is no microprism to get in the way, and it is much brighter
than the 1-x screens. You will find it much easier to preview DOF with the
2-4. You can put the 2 series screens in an OM-1 or OM-2, but you need to
modify the little tabs, and it will throw the meter off (the OM-2's meter
will be OK in automatic).

I have never used them, but the Beattie screens are supposed to be quite good
as well. They fit in the -1's and -2's without modification, but I think they
still throw off the meter. One nice thing about them is you can get them with
a grid (Oly really needs to introduce a 2-10 screen. A 2-14 would be nice,
too). Surprisingly, the Beattie's are more expensive than the Oly's. The
Beattie screens run about $65 in the states, the Oly's about $40.

Hope this helps!

Paul Schings