Re: editing ethics - Re: [OM] OM Photos for your critique

Subject: Re: editing ethics - Re: [OM] OM Photos for your critique
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:44:09 -0600 (CST)
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 23:59:22 EST, HI100@xxxxxxx wrote:

>bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< I think the artist is free to
> digitally manipulate photographs in the same way that he manipulates
> the image by choice of shutter speed, aperture, POV, focal length,
> film, developing, andprinting. >>
>
>It was interesting how vehemently the list tended to disagree with this view
>when it was discussed previously in connection with ADITL..

But that was a different issue. At issue wasn't the photographer
editing his own image, but rather the presenter editing the image.
There's a world of difference between editing your ownphoto and
editing someone else's photo.

And FWIW, while I see the difference, I am all for the ADITL hosts
manipulating my images for presentation. They're better at it than I
am, and their manipulations would be limited to scan/monitor issues.

>Years ago in heated discssions with friends of climbing photographs there was
>much  discussion of "cheating" by "tilting " the camera to "distort"
>perspective.

When I used to doclimbing photography, I was just relived to be able
to simultaneously focus, set exposure,compose, and maintain my grip
on 5.9 routes while not bashing my camera on the cliff. Camera
tilting never came up.

>I liked somebody's comment of the time which was "I need to show how it feels
>not how it is".

I'm with them. There is no objective art. Simply by picking a subject
we are making subjective choices.

BBB
-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel