[OM] OM Photos for your critique

Subject: [OM] OM Photos for your critique
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 03:02:00 -0800
Since this is getting to be a hot topic and much more interesting than
politics or SUV's, I guess it's ok to add my 2 cents.  In my occasional
world of commercial photography and imaging, image manipulation is not
only the standard, it is required for success and economics. I kind of
got my start in the professional side of imaging by knowing the tools
and techniques of digital imaging about 10 years ago.  All those product
shots and beauty shots (even Playboy fixes the images) are manipulated.
In the gloss printed media world perfection rules. Nothing less.  It's
not important how you do it ... you just better do it. Nobody wants to
see life as if it was captured by the unimaginative. Even the great
photo journalists see things that mere mortals can't see.  This is what
makes them great. Maybe their images are not manipulated (in the post
production sense) but their brains and eyes are.  They show the reality
which they see. We have the option of accepting it or not.  Tobias and
others who criticize artistic expression or imagination by the
photographer should be forced to only view police, crime scene,
insurance, court room and mug shot photography. Yes those are the Xerox
copies of reality with no obvious manipulation which means no
imagination.  Any comments?

Phillip Franklin