Re: [OM] T400CN, The Eating of Crow

Subject: Re: [OM] T400CN, The Eating of Crow
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:28:00 -0600
>I find it looks very bland on Ilford at grade 2.  Needs to be dialed
>up above grade 3 to get real blacks.

I agree, but I think it has more to do with the fact that there is more
shadow detail.  This film maintains plenty of texture in Zone 1.  On my
test roll, there didn't seem to be any bottom end--it just went on and on.
According to Kodak, the film is designed for printing on Grade 3-3.5
anyway, so grade 2 definitely will produce blah blacks.  My straight print
reproduced everything from zone 0 to 10 with smooth, natural gradients in
between.

>Thanks for the reworked analysis Ken.  Were these the plastic "skins" that
>Qualex (Kodak) uses?  Sounds like 'em.  I've had to remove them from 35mm
>color negative strips and it is a pain!

I believe so.  I had never seen this type of sleave before and I think it
was a Kodak lab that did them (Kansas City).  To say that I was not
impressed is an understatement.  Honestly, the plastic film is so thin and
"bonded" to the negative that it was nearly impossible to see, much less
remove.  I've done this a few years, and even worked in a commercial lab
for a while, but this was entirely new to me.

Ken Norton