RE: [OM] ADVICE ON CD BURNER/RECORDER

Subject: RE: [OM] ADVICE ON CD BURNER/RECORDER
From: "Windrim, Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:37:23 -0000
Cc: "'dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Sam,

you wrote:

>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I was pondering the thought of purchasing a CD recorder/burner.  They are
>> pretty neat.  Anyone out there have any advice as to what brand(s) are
best
>> suited to handle the task?
>>
>> Thanks, Sam....

I've never read a bad word about Yamaha drives, and they've been doing it
longer than anyone else, I believe. The Yamaha PDS (Programmable Disc
Subsystem) audio recorder appeared about ten years ago at a cost of $35,000
and was incorporated into the first recordable CD setups.

In my previous job we purchased a Yamaha 4x6 writer (at a time when such
things still weren't two-a-penny) for use on a Sun workstation and it
always gave sterling service through fairly heavy use. I don't recall it
ever making a coaster.

On the strength of this, earlier this year I bought a Yamaha 4x4x16 SCSI
drive
which has worked perfectly, as has the supplied Adaptec software. A friend
has had a similar experience with his more recent 6x4x16. The newest Yamaha
drive is 8x4x24.

I'm sure there are plenty of equally good drives about, but this is my
experience.

-Brian