RE: [OM] Need for Circular Polariser?

Subject: RE: [OM] Need for Circular Polariser?
From: "Harridge, Wayne" <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 15:07:04 +0800
John wrote:

> Not so.  Quoted straight from the OM FAQ maintained by R. Lee Hawkins:
>   http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html
>    "B27) What OM cameras can use a linear polariser?
>          Which must have a circular polariser?
>     Due to the semi-silvered mirrors in the OM-{2S, 3(Ti), 4(Ti),
>     and PC} you must use a circular polariser with them, otherwise
>     your exposures will be off by 2-3 stops.  The OM-{1(N), 2(N),
>     10, G, and F) do not have a semi-silvered mirror, and can thus
>     use linear polarisers without any problem."

I don't believe this is strictly correct.  The indicated exposure in the
viewfinder may be incorrect, so if you use this info to make a manual
exposure, then the exposure is incorrect.  If however you make an auto
exposure (otf/otc) the effect of using a linear polariser is irrelevant,
since the reflection from the film or the shutter curtain will not change
the state of polarisation of the light.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/