[OM] P&S Zooms v SLRs

Subject: [OM] P&S Zooms v SLRs
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 15:50:27 -0000
Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:
>...With zoom-compacts, most people consider the
>SLR's to be clumsy, heavy and expensive. And
> - for most people, not us on the list - this is true...

And yet no manufacturer will come right out and make a zoom compact to
really rival an SLR's features, even though the technology has been there
for a few years. To take my Pentax 928 as an example, though already
well-equipped for its type, the absence of quite basic stuff - a cable
release socket, readouts of shutter speed, aperture and focus distance, and
a switch to select between aperture/shutter priority/program modes, tells me
that Pentax simply don't want to make something that would threaten their
SLR sales, and the same holds true for the other manufacturers. In the case
of Olympus, they have their iS 'bridge' series to protect.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx
http://homepages.which.net/~k.berry