[OM] OM3 vs OM4 Selling Price

Subject: [OM] OM3 vs OM4 Selling Price
From: "Buddy Walters" <IRBWalters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 20:23:50 -0800
Hi Bill,
The OM3 was a couple of hundred dollars more than the OM4 in the mid 1980's.
It did not have TTL which turned some people off and many people just wanted
some sort of auto control. So, it cost more and had less features.
Therefore, if I had to guess, the OM4 probably out sold OM3's 1000 or more
to one.  Plus the OM3 was only available for 3 or 4 years, I think
1983 -1986/7.  The 4 started in 1984 to present under Om4, OM4T(i).
I see used OM4's almost every month.  I can only recall seeing 2 OM3's in
the last 3 or 4 years.
If someone wants a mechanical 3, then their only choice is to look hard for
a good clean 3 and pay the price or cough up $1,500 for a new 3Ti.
If they want a 4, then the options are greater.  Find an OM4 (common) and
hope you do not have battery problems or upgrade it through John H. or find
a 4T.  Or just buy a new 4Ti at somewhere around $1,100.
Bottom line - it sells for what the market will bear.
Hope this answers your question.
Buddy Walters