Re: [OM] Olympus pricing in Canada (C-2000)

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus pricing in Canada (C-2000)
From: "C.H.Ling" <pling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 10:33:15 +0800
I just bought the C2000 for three weeks at around US$742. At day time, in house
available light and flash, the performance is excellent. Pop photo has very high
comment on it at Dec 99 issue.

But under bright sunlight, the contrast seems a bit high with white washout and
dark details lost (but you can use +/- compensation to save either one). For
light scene, it is even worst, you can only found extremely dark or bright, very
little in between and details are lost. I have no experience on other DC, may be
it is the same in this price range. But the external flash connection ability of
the C2000 is excellent, I have used it for flashes setup checking, no more
Polaroid is needed. The C2020 has better LCD and full manual shutter/aperture
control, if the price different is not high, better buy the newer one.

C.H.Ling

=======================

Hello all,

For your info, I am copying below a note which I just wrote to Olympus
America after discovering HUGE price discrepancies between the C-2000 in
the USA and Canada. If anyone has further info on this, I'd love to hear it! I
need to buy a camera by next week at the latest.

==========
I am considering the C-2000 camera. I am also comparing  it with the Epson
850Z, which appears to be very close in features and specs, and is the same
price as the C-2000 in the USA.
But I would like to know why the C-2000 is at least $400 more than the Epson
850Z in Canada?

The Epson sells for $1099 to $1250 CDN
The Olympus sells for $1499 to $1599 CDN.
In the USA, I can buy either of the above for US$799 online.

These prices are based on 3 different retail stores, including one which
carries both products.

Is Olympus America aware that your Canadian distributor  Carsen Group
appears to be charging far too much for the product? (If they are not, then why
the difference?)

According to the dealer: the Olympus has been sitting on the shelf for months,
but the Epson is selling like crazy! For a $500 difference, I'm not surprised.

I am prepared to buy a C-2000, but not be gouged by a Canadian distributor.
If I can't find a fair price in Canada, I may have to consider buying the Epson.

I would appreciate a reply at 250-743-5516 if you can help me on this.

Thank you.
Shawn Wright
Systems Manager
Shawnigan Lake School.

ps: I already have many Olympus products, which is why I am concerned
about this problem.