Re: [OM] T400CN revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] T400CN revisited
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:13:24 +0000
Thanks for the interesting review Ken.

Ilford XP-2 Super is similar to this film, they're both C-41 (colour neg)
process emulsions which have a dye-based (rather than silver-based)
structure. However, for those who are interested, Ilford have seemingly made
their equivalent film appear more like a conventional material. It is
sharper than T400CN but has more apparent 'grain' (this is still very fine).
It also has a lower film base density, which makes it better for printing.

Both of these films are excellent ISO400 emulsions, and as Ken points out,
their fine grain and smooth tonal character are well suited to portraiture.
They can be used for general photography too, though particularly demanding
users might find them lacking the absolute sharpness of the best
conventional emulsions. I was very happy with a roll of the Ilford that I
ran off recently, and if I wasn't so devoted to using HP5, more of it would
probably find its way into my OMs.

Simon E.