Re: [OM] OS/2 vs. OM marketing

Subject: Re: [OM] OS/2 vs. OM marketing
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:06:06 -0600 (CST)
On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 02:54:50 -0800 (PST), Joseph wrote:

>=================
>OS/2 isn't dead yet - IBM still releases fixpacks/updates on v4, and
>rumors circulate about a version 5.
>
>That said, I'm fairly certain IBM and Olympus have the same marketing
>team.
>=================
>
>major differences.  Olympus dropped trying to compete with OM altogether.
>IBM dropped trying to market Os/2 to individuals when v. 3.0 came out.

That's not entirely correct OS/2 Warp 4.0 (the current version) was
the last attempt at the mass market, complete with TV advertising
(remember the nuns?), ad space in consumer mags, and distributed
paraphernalia. Unfortunately, the Warp Campaign Ad people seemingly
never used computers or spoke english. Slogans on bus stops like
"Obliterate Your Computer With OS/2 Warp!" came across as bad
attempts to be cool, with hilarious unintended meanings. Imagine
Olympus running ads in Popular Photography carrying the slogan
"Obliterate your camera with Zuiko glass!" Sounds like we'd all be
sending our bodies to John H.

>they continued to market it to business customers, many of whom use
>OS/2 because its maintenance costs is about half the cost of maintaining
>microsoft stuff.  But the server market for OS/2 is pretty dead, largely
>taken over by Linux these days.

That's an exageration, and OS/2's Workspace on Demand is still very
popular.

>about half of the worlds bank ATM machines run OS/2 internally as their
>OS, so there are plenty of machines running Os/2 out there.  this would
>be impossible with a microsoft Os since you cannot really replace the
>graphical shell tool.

Lots of Banks and Insurance companies (i.e. Bank of America) still
use OS/2 or its server/client version for workstations and desktops.

-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel
bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Peach Orchard, MO