[OM] compact cameras

Subject: [OM] compact cameras
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:16:27 -0800 (PST)
>The vignetting could be a little disconcerting, but at F8/F11 (where I
>typically shoot) is it apparent?  I would really like a "pocket" camera
>that I can always have with me and the newer AF cameras don't quite excite
>me--they are so incredibly battery dependent, the lenses are mushy, the AF

vignetting with the XA is barely perceptible at f/5.6, and won't be a
problem at smaller apertures.  the rangefinder is not very accurate,
and the lens has a 4-blade, square aperture.  they work ok.

I'd probably go with a Nikon 35Ti or Leica Minilux if the price is no
object for a compact camera.  Their prices have come down in the last
couple of years, actually.  I don't like the Contax T2 or TVS. The Ricoh GR-1
is an autofocus aperture-priority camera with 28/2.8 fixed lens also for $300.
I think the Nikon 28Ti has a better lens, but it costs double too.

Joseph