Re: [OM] rangefinders

Subject: Re: [OM] rangefinders
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 02:04:43 +0000
>with slides.  the lens is good at f/8 and f/11.  But the lens in the
>little Minox cameras is superior, although these cameras are not very
>rugged.

---------- Warning!  Heresy Begins ----------

In the same size class as the little Minox and sturdier are the Rollei 35T
and Rollei 35S which Rollei quit making in 1980 (the TE and SE continued
through '82).  They have a collapsible 40mm lens and are among the smallest
full frame 35mm's ever made:
  - continuous scale focus marked in meters and feet (no RF)
  - manual exposure control
  - integral meter coupled to aperture and shutter dials.
The glass on the 35T is an f/3.5 Carl Zeiss Tessar.  The glass on a 35S is
an f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Sonnar.  The Sonnar is considered the better of the two
lenses.  However, both lens designs are sharp corner-to-corner, exceptional
resolution and very high contrast.  The brass body caps are thin and easier
to dent than on most cameras, but unless you really beat on them, minor
dings will not affect anything.  The internal frame is cast metal.

I have a 35S and use it as a manual focus, manual exposure P&S because of
its superb lenswork.  [Token OM content]  The XA-2 we have doesn't even
compare, especially its lens.