[OM] OM 2000; Soccer; EIDE.

Subject: [OM] OM 2000; Soccer; EIDE.
From: "Donald MacDonald" <donald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 22:53:50 -0000
Sorry, guys, but I'm a digest subscriber... it's been a busy couple of days.

I would definitely miss my shutter control next to the body, but having said
that, I do use the OM10 a lot, and sometimes even on manual; when push comes
to shove I guess it's the Zuikos that keep me Olymping.

In the midst of a Scottish winter I have no problem with gloves. I use
Damart thermawear gloves, great stuff (used on Everest, but not by me!).
They are very good under my mountaineering gloves, with which I can still
(at a push) use the shutter speed ring. Bonington used Damart gloves and an
OM2 on Everest South West Face, but it wasn't very cold there, and he used
the Auto and compensation, apparently. So I guess he wouldn't use shutter
speeds. I don't find I shoot on tripods much, but I haven't noticed a
problem when I have. I must be either be setting speed first (surely not?)
or just making do; I'll pay attention next time.

As to photographing soccer, well, it's not my game (cycling's for me) but is
rather popular in this neck of the woods. I see a lot of expensive white
C*n*n and N*k*n 200-300 lenses being waved about at matches, but of course
this is fast glass. The award-winning photographers run the lines, cutting
the distance they have to shoot, but still they are using 200mm, as fast as
they can get. I have shot rugby with 150/f4, with 400 ASA, and it was OK,
except when guys were running about. Shoot the older guys and social teams,
nobody runs about in those... :-)

I'm thinking about a new EIDE hard drive and am salivating over 28GB of
storage; also, I'd like to use CDs for storing large image files. Remember
when 16k was plenty of memory, and we only had 8 inch disks? Currently I'm
amusing myself by digging out old overexposures and light-damaged slides and
negs from my Zenith E days (shutter bounce, leaky back, you name it) and
using digital technology to have a look at previously unreadable images.
They aren't good enough to print, but the memories are flooding back (30
years; ouch!). And it helps to practice using the various techniques I read
about on that scanning website that keeps getting a mention here.

Donald.