Re: [OM] How To Buy A OM2000 & Lens & Film for $180.49

Subject: Re: [OM] How To Buy A OM2000 & Lens & Film for $180.49
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <thomas.clausen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 13:00:21 -0700
On Sun, 02 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> At 11:11 PM 12/31/1999 -0000, Donald you wrote in part:
> >The only thing I
> >would object to (having read the review in Amateur Photographer) is the lack
> >of shutter ring next to the body. To my mind it is the big minus of my OM10.
> >
> >There's something very ergonomic about being able to control the exposure
> >with one hand and press the taking button with the other.

This IS interresting. When I bought my first OM-camera many many many years
ago, a key criteria for selecting OM over e.g. N*k*n was just that the shutter
speed control was located in a sane spot......Now, having used other systems
on-and-off for short periods over the years, I always feel at home when I
return to my single-digit OM's. No matter how hard I tried, I never got used to
having the shutter speed control located where the shutter release button is
living.....

I am truely amazed that the other camera manufacturers haven't realized how
much nicer the OM-approach is.....well, not really - I guess that most people
use some semi- or full-automatic exposure rather than manual control. And that
most cameras thus are designed (as the OM10/20/30/40) primarily for automatic
exposure control with manual control being just an "option".

Anyways, I was close to buying an OM2000 - if for nothing else then to reward
Olympus for keeping their OM-series alive, and also because I've grown to love
the spot capabilities of my OM4 and OM2s/p (Anyone got a spare one in mint
condition, then I am a potential buyer....!). However since I've not seen the
camera in the stores around here (France & Denmark), I was unaware that the
layout of the controls had changed that much (I was expecting to see
something similar to the other OM's). I do intend to reconsider now. I use my
cameras almost exclusively in manual mode, and I am afraid that the OM2000
would be too troublesome to use. Anyone with hands-on experience, who would
care to comment and describe their experiences? Otherwise I guess I should save
up a few more months and buy a new OM3Ti.....

--
Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)