RE: [OM] slide vs neg film - my take

Subject: RE: [OM] slide vs neg film - my take
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 21:28:24 +0000
At 06:10 1/1/00 , Wayne Harridge wrote:
>My local lab will also produce a PictureCD from E6 reversal films.  This is
>excellent value ($AU13 ~ $US8.50, for 36 frames), the 1500x1000 resolution
>is more than adequate for web use and they turn it round in a few hours.

You are indeed lucky.  Sadly, Qualex (film processing subsidiary owned by
Kodak) will not do PictureCD's from E-6 or K-14 (at least in the U.S.)  :-(
 Discovered this the hard way by asking for one and having to call Qualex
to find out why a CD didn't come back with the slides.  They will only do
it for 35mm or APS *color* C-41 at time of development.  No reversal, B/W
including chromogenic C-41 B/W, or after film processing.  BTW, the cost of
a PictureCD is only slightly higher in the U.S.  Was told by Qualex they
would *gladly* do PhotoCD's on my E-6 at five times the cost and a two-week
turnaround!

Qualex is really missing an opportunity on this one.  If they can scan
color C-41, similarly scanning a film strip of B/W or reversal after
developing it ought to be a "no-brainer."  I need to poke around and find
out if one of the pro labs in the "Big City" 50 miles from here does
PictureCD's from E-6 and/or K-14.  Most pro labs can do the much more
expensive PhotoCD's.  One pro lab 50 miles away charges $46 (U.S.) to put
36 exp of 35mm on a PhotoCD, but cannot do PictureCD's; at least their
turnaround is one day!

-- John