Re: [OM] street/serial photography--references requested

Subject: Re: [OM] street/serial photography--references requested
From: "Glen Lowry" <lowry@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 12:28:12 -0800
Hi to all, I need some help tracking references on street/city photography
or photographers and/or photography and everyday life.  Any suggestions you
might have on which photogs I should be looking at and most especially any
books/articles/essays on the subject would be much appreciated.

I'm putting together an essay on Roy Kiyooka's photography: a well known
Japanese Canadian artist/photographer/poet who has done some amazing work
with serial form--grids and other forms of visual disruption or mediation.
One example of this is _StonedGloves_ (perhaps his best known project), an
installation (later book/catalogue) Kiyooka did for the National Gallery.
consisting of an instillation of massive photos of workers gloves discarded
around the site of the Kyoto World's Fair, to which he was sent as a
representative Canadian (visual) artist, overlaid with a long poem.

In trying to think through the implications of Kiyooka's technique, I've
realised how little I actually know about photographic theory (coming to the
problem as I am from a literary/cultural theory background). Remembering
that many of you have studied photography, I thought I'd see what kind of
feedback I could get.

Thanks for your help. A Happy and safe new millennium to you all
Glen Lowry lowry@xxxxxx
Ps. (If any of you are interested I can scan a few pages from the
text(Kiyooka in a characteristic gesture waved copyright for the book--texts
and images).)