Re: [OM] Tri-X

Subject: Re: [OM] Tri-X
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:52:06 -0800
Are you sure it is the latent image that is deteriorating?
Perhaps the film is just changing with time and conditions.
Wouldn't you get the same result with an unexposed roll of film
that was hanging around for a year as one exposed and shelved for a year?

Slight hold time deterioration for six hours and then it stabilizes
for _ what, several months?  Then it gets really bad?

Could be that the film is out of the air tight can for the first time
and that may change it a little.  Then after a long time the
elements have done their work on it.  Exposed or not.
Try exposing a roll of film fresh out of the can and processing it right
away
and another shoot, reseal and freeze.  Develop that one in a year and see
what
happens to it.  I would guess that there would be a lot less of this hold
time deterioration.
Or take a roll and freeze it in the can and another take out of the can and
let it sit on the shelf for a few months.  Then shoot both and develop right
away.

This hold time for a latent image is new to me and I would question it
further
before taking it as a fact.
If this has been "proven" I and I am sure all of us would be very
interested.

Charlie L.

=========A "hold time" is the amount of time that elapses between exposure
and
development. If you want to see something interesting, shoot a roll of
your favorite b&w film and develop it immediately--within the first
hour. Keep an identically-shot test roll hanging around the house for a
year. Develop it, than make comparison prints. Your eyebrows will
probably go up! Most films show slight hold-time deterioration within
the first six hours after exposure, and then stabilize for relatively
long periods before beginning a gradual process of image deterioration.
Tri-X is relatively immune to this--it looks virtually the same whether
processed at six hours or at six months (although it does look slightly
better when processed immediately).===============