Re: [OM] Attempt to clean inside of viewfinder on OM-1;2

Subject: Re: [OM] Attempt to clean inside of viewfinder on OM-1;2
From: Zone129@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:19:44 EST
In a message dated 12/29/1999 7:53:16 PM Mountain Standard Time,
omtech@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> You can clean the underside of the prism after you take the screen out by
> using lens tissue wrapped around the tweezers or the like.  Use denatured
> alcohol and wipe very carefully.  Do not rub hard & please be careful.
Two
> things can happen, the tip of the tweezer will tear through the tissue and
> scratch the prism or the tissue will hook on to the meter needle and bend/
> break it.
>
>  John

Hi John,

That professional technique of wrapping a tissue around a pair of tweezers to
clean a mirror or prizm seems like a technique asking for trouble for
amateurs like me.  Might I suggest wrapping the tissue around a Q-Tip
instead.  You can roll the cotton tip between your fingers to shape it into a
smaller, pointier looking thing then wrap it with a lens cleaning tissue
lengthwise so you can grap the tissue far enough from the tip that you can
still get into the nooks and crannies to polish.  Works for me!

BTW, for others on the list, I think its important to appreciate your own
limitations when it comes to tinkering with your own cameras, do the simple
things that you are comfortable with and leave the more involved stuff to
someone that has done it before.  For example, I like fixing old cameras and
have done quite a bit in that area but when it came to my own user OM bodies
I sent them off to John to overhaul as it was important enough for me to want
it done right by someone who knew what the were doing.  It seems to me what
he charges is extremely reasonable given the work he does on them.

Best wishes and happy last new year of the present Millenium to all on the OM
list.

Carl Turner