Re: [OM] which film?

Subject: Re: [OM] which film?
From: "george" <geanders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 15:31:09 -0800
Acer;

General RsOT (Rules of Thumb :>) that I've read and experienced:

Negative film (color OR B&W): about 7 ev of latitude.
Transparency film (color OR B&W): about 5 ev of latitude.

Ansel Adams Zone System divided up the grey scale from white to black into
10 zones or tonalities.  This may be where you got your 10 for B&W.  Part of
the usefulness of the zone system is it's ability to help you visualize
where in those 10 zones you want to 'place' your allotted 7.  Now it is true
that development variations on B&W films, when combined with exposure
adjustments, can stretch or contract the 7 ev of latitude a bit, but not by
3 or more stops and not without other effects.

George