Re: [OM] Camera Repairman in a Bottle, Was: Arrrrgh! focusing screen rui

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera Repairman in a Bottle, Was: Arrrrgh! focusing screen ruined!!!
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 17:13:39 -0800 (PST)
  I believe that Zippo lighter fluid is even better. A
few years ago at the camera shop I worked at an old
timer told me that Ronsonal was not pure naptha but
contained a small amount of oil. He said that Zippo
lighter fluid was pure naptha and evaporated more
completly after use. One other thing we used Zippo for
was to fill in the engraved scales on lenses. After
cleaning out the old paint, you lightly wet the tip of
a china marker with naptha( china markers can be
purchased at art supply stores) and rub the tip of the
marker over the engraving. After the color has dried(
a few minutes) you clean off the excess color with a
napkin leaving the engraving filled in with nice
bright numbers. Of course this technique works best on
quality lenses with deep engraving. China markers come
in enought colors to match the original colors on most
lenses.