Re: [OM] Camera Repairman in a Bottle, Was: Arrrrgh! focusing screen rui

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera Repairman in a Bottle, Was: Arrrrgh! focusing screen ruined!!!
From: Zone129@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 20:53:55 EST
In a message dated 12/27/1999 6:21:16 PM Mountain Standard Time,
wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>  Well, don't ever try and clean your 2 series screen with alcohol, it
>  apparently ruins it.

Ronsonal lighter fluid (comes in the yellow bottle from the convenience
store) would have been a better choice for removing the goo without damaging
the plastic.  I haven't come across a plastic that it harms so far.  Ronsonal
also is the stuff to use if you are squirting liquid into frozen shutters and
whatnot to free things up.  There was some discussion on here last week about
WD40 and other substances to loosen things up in cameras.  If there truely is
a product called "Camera Repairman in a Bottle" then Ronsonal is it!  In
fact, I think half of the schlock 'camera repair persons' working in the back
of little camera shops all over America use only a squirt tube of Ronsonal to
"fix" cameras.  If it can't be fixed by flooding with Ronsonal then they send
it out!  Ronsonal is basically naptha, BTW.

Regards,

Carl Turner