[OM] possible to ID screen type?

Subject: [OM] possible to ID screen type?
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 08:24:46 -0500
Acer asked:
Hi. The new OM-1n I bought seems to have a brighter screen than the one
in
my older OM-1n. Is there some way to tell what version of the screen in
installed by visually checking a tab or something else without actually
removing it? FWIW, the old -1n I used most of the time with a 50/1.8MC,
and the new one is being used with the 50/1.4MC--that's still only 2/3
stop of difference. <snip>
-----------------------------------
I wouldn't say "only 2/3 stop".  2/3 of a stop is a pretty big
difference in brightness.  As to ID'ing the screen the type number is
embossed on the handling tab.  Lay the camera on it's back with the lens
off.  Pull forward on the small tab at the front of the focusing screen
retaining frame.  The frame will drop down about 30-45 degrees.  Remove
the screen by picking it up by the handling tab with a pair of tweezers
if you don't have the special handling tweezers supplied with all extra
screens.  Hold the screen by its edges and read the ID number off the
tab.  Replace the screen and push the frame back up until it latches.
Don't use a sharp tool for this lest you slip and scratch the screen
which is soft plastic.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA