[OM] Just another shopper

Subject: [OM] Just another shopper
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 12:36:51 +0000

I think the real strong point of this lens is...it's ability to render
subtle tones and shades of colour....This realy shows in pictures with
complex shaded
features like clouds.  Clouds in particular seem more three dimensional
me because more of their subtle and complex shadings are resolved.  The
bokeh with this lens is creamy smooth.

I rate this as one of the finest Zuikos
<<<<<<

Giles, thank you very much for this opinion. Very useful.

I am a professional in this field and I even write the magazine's
"World's 25 Best Cameras" feature. I pride myself on being good at
giving advice to others.

However I am also a photographer with a very personal and intimate
practice of photography, by which I mean it is close to my heart. And as
an Editor and a single parent with a house mortgage and daycare bills
and many obligations I am a poor man. Well, actually I feel very rich,
or rather, fortunate; let's just say I must be very responsible about
spending scarce "disposable" income.

This month in the magazine we are offering as our "Collector Print
Offer" four of my own prints.

I am hoping that this offer will yield enough profit that I can buy
myself a new camera. It has been nearly a year now since I've had a
camera of my own! (During that time I have used the Contax Aria and the
Nikon F100 and one or two others on loans from the respective
companies.)

So I am trying to decide which way to go. For me it is not an easy
decision. I am good at giving advice to others, where I can be objective
and hard-headed; but I'm not good AT ALL at giving advice to myself!

I think the choice is now down to Contax and Olympus. I have owned both
in the past, and have strong feelings for both, and I know a LOT about
many of the competitive options...which, ironically, may make it MORE
difficult for me to make a sensible choice!

Maybe I shouldn't be so honest...perhaps it is not good for my
reputation...but often it is a burden to have to be an "expert" all the
time. In some ways I am merely a pure amateur, in the old sense of the
term.

So you see, comments are important to me...because, in part, I am not
here as an "expert," but rather just as a shopper, like many others....

Best,

--Mike