Re: [OM] Future of the OM system

Subject: Re: [OM] Future of the OM system
From: "Tom Trottier" <tom@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 00:11:23 -0500
On 16 Dec 99, at 0:05, Phillip Franklin spoke about
*[OM] Future of the OM system..* saying

> In the early 1970's Olympus created the OM system with over 300 system
> components.  Olympus has been a pioneer in the medical/scientific
> imaging systems for as long as I could remember.  The OM2 camera bodies
> were used heavily for recording to film for much of this equipment.
> Later in the 1980's they went to some more specific camera bodies on
> their microscopes and imaging equipment. As the OM system became less a
> part of their medical imaging systems, their interest in professional
> 35mm photography waned. The OM system was probably the most advanced
> 35mm camera systems ever made.  Olympus is now known as a modern
> technology company with little interest in building collectable cameras
> for very wealthy (i.e. Leica or Contax)(O Product being an exception).
> You won't see any gold plated collector issues from this company like
> Hassy or Rollei.

uh, there have been some - tho mainly for the dealers...

> Personally I have little interest in collectibles since

Well, each company concentrates on where it can make money.
Building on existing good lenses may lead to a digital camera back that take
Oly lens mount stuff.

I think the main problem is that the 35mm format is just too big for
fabrication these days.
In the near future?
Or will digital standardise on something smaller - with attendant sets of
lenses, bellows,....
There are advantages to live digital, as opposed to scanning film afterwards
        - e.g. flash/action/sports pix.
So I think Zuiko's day will come...

"Olympus System" = "messy toy lumps"

Tom
From:Tom Trottier, 400 Slater St. Suite 415,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7S7
    __o    <Tom@xxxxxx> <TomTrottier@xxxxxxxxxxx>       ICQ:57647974
  _ \<     Voice: +1 613 291-1168  fax: 594-5412      No ads, please
(*)/'(*)   Vote for your favourite Olympus camera at
           http://www.freevote.com/booth/fav_camera