[OM] OM-2000

Subject: [OM] OM-2000
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:58:37 -0800 (PST)
==========================
I recently acquired a new OM2000, and although both the body and the lens is
manufactured by Cosina, both seem to work quite well.  The OM2000 is an
impressive body for the price.  Obviously, it has a number of plastic bits
and pieces, especially the rather flimsy feeling self-timer lever.  But, in
==========================

the self-timer activates mirror and aperture prefire, so you'd want to
use it when using the camera on-tripod.

I don't really care if a camera I use is manufactured by Cosina or
Olympus or whoever.  I think the Om-2000 at $160 street price without
a lens is a great deal.  However, I found the ergonomics of the camera
atrocious.  To meter, you have to hold down the meter button part way
and turn the shutter dial with the same hand to match up the needle.
the concept of a match-needle spotmeter is also rather absurd and
clumsy to use.  The spotmeter was clearly added in as an afterthought,
which isn't a surprise given that the camera was marketed as an FM-10
before it was an OM-2000.  I had purchased the camera to replace my
OM-1 as a second body and backup to an OM-4T, preferring to hvae a
spotmeter in both bodies I would carry.  After shooting a single roll
of film through the OM-2000, I disliked using it so much that I traded it in
on another OM-4T after that.

But if you don't mind the ergonomics, getting a mechanical shutter,
spotmeter and mirror prefire in a camera costing $160 new is a great buy.
it is the only OM body with 1/125 X sync also.

Joseph