[OM] Zuiko 24/2.8 vs. Contax 25/2.8

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 24/2.8 vs. Contax 25/2.8
From: Kurt Hurley <khurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:49:00 -0800
Doug,

Thanks for the string on Zuiko 24/2.8 vs Contax 25/2.8 reference. I haven't
done that comparison.

FYI

I have compared a Leica R 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit to the Zuiko 24mm f/2 and AIS
24mm f/2 Nikkor once. The R Elmarit had good central sharpness wide open
and f/8, but soft corners at both apertures. Its full aperture performance
was best. The Zuiko was next best wide open, then the Nikkor. At f/8 the
edge performance of the Zuiko was best and was the best overall performer,
then the Nikkor, last the R -Elmarit due to the aforementioned soft edges.

  12:36 AM 12/17/99 -0500, you wrote:

>>The reason to be interested in a Leica is if you want something to do
>>types of photography for which a rangefinder is superior to an SLR,
>>and want interchangeable lenses.
>
>I'm not even sure that's enough to make me want the Leica.  I used a Hexar
>for years -- sold it when I invested in OM stuff -- and if I were to
>return to rangefinder equipment, I would look seriously at the Contax G2
>system.
>
>Optically, the Contax outpeforms the Leica at virtually every focal length
>(with the possible exception of the wildly expensive 100mm macro from
>Leitz).
>
>Olympus seems to offer a lens at every focal length that holds its own,
>however.  The 50/2, as discussed; the world-class 90/2; and various wide
>angles.  Some here seem to have doubts about the Zuiko 24/2.8, but I've
>had fine results with it (and every test I've read suggests that it
>outperforms, for instance, the Zeiss 25mm for the Contax SLRs).  Photo
>Techniques compared the Zuiko 21/3.5 favorably with the G Biogon.  I find
>this hard to believe -- haven't had the chance to use this Zuiko -- but
>that's *extremely* high praise.
>
>I'm becoming an OM partisan.  Recently gave Shutterbug's Bob Shell a hard
>time for a usenet post in which he suggested that Zuikos routinely
>underperform lenses from N*k*n, C*n*n, P*nt*x, and M*n*lt*.  (This based
>on private tests done by some unnamed lens manufacturer.)  Strikes me as
>patently false.
>

>Doug Cooper

Kurt Hurley IDS 2000 Product Marketing Manager
Schlumberger T&T - Diagnostic Systems
1601 Technology Drive San Jose CA 95110
email khurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PH 408-437-5156  FAX 408-437-9031 PG 408-699-4587