[OM] [OT] DVD

Subject: [OM] [OT] DVD
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:31:41 -0800
John wrote:
"I'm told the "new" DVD music format (based on Dolby 5.1), coming out in
2000,  will not play on current DVD players."

John,

Actually there are 2 major competing  DVD recordimg formats that are
vying for the standard.  However there are several encoding compression
formats that can be used on DVD just as they can be used on CD (which
also has many recording formats). Unless you plan on recording DVDs for
playback on all DVD players this should not be a problem. However as a
purchaser of a new DVD player for either your computer or home
entertainment center most of the major manufacturers will support all of
the RIAA and MPAA approved formats.  Uusaully they want their formats to
have copy encrytion (hardware). However older DVD players may not
support some of the newer decoding schemes for music and entertainment.
The most recent crop of DVD players are now supporting 24 bit audio
encoding (which I think will be the standard that replaces current 16
bit audio encoding on all cds to date).  However I'm not aware of any
recording labels producing 24 bit audio DVDs now.
So the hardware will run ahead of software as it usually does. I'm sure
Dolby Labs is just producing an encryption scheme for music (probably 24
bit) and not an actual hardware DVD recording format. Everyone in the
industry is trying to steal some of the heat that mp3 has created in
setting compression standards.

OM content? Well John fixes OM cameras so I guess that will suffice for
now.

Phillip