[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1298

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1298
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:31:46 -0800 (PST)
==========================
I spent some time fondling a Leica M3 today, and I must confess:  I didn't
have the same lust for it that I would have felt before investing in
Olympus stuff.  Especially now that I know the Zuiko 50/2 outperforms the
Summicron.
=====================

I said it outperformed the summicron-R I had.  That doesn't mean it
outperforms a summicron-M or every version of a summicron 50mm.
but you're right that performance is not a reason to get a Leica.

The reason to be interested in a Leica is if you want something to do
types of photography for which a rangefinder is superior to an SLR,
and want interchangeable lenses.  rangefinders let you see what is
outside the frame in the viewfinder (and thus what is about to enter
the frame), they have no image blackout at shutter click (so if someone
blinks their eyes or sticks out their tongue during a portrait you
can re-shoot it right then), they are quieter, have no mirror slap
vibrations, are easier to focus in low light, and wide-angle lenses
can be more compact than a retrofocus lens (though Olympus wide-angles
are quite compact).  the tradeoff is you lose close range composition
ability due to parallax error, and cannot mount as wide a range of
lenses.  Also, as lenses get longer, viewfinder frame lines get smaller,
making a smaller image to see.  with an SLR, you are looking through the
lens, so you get the benefit of hte magnification of the lens.

Olympus designed the OM system to compete with Leica M for size and
weight.  Alot of people who would be better served with an SLR used
Leica M's for a compact outfit, and Olympus saw this as an opportunity.
that's why the OM-1 originally was called an M-1, but Leica objected
to the trademark violation.

Joseph