[OM] Ponderings about Full Synchro Flash

Subject: [OM] Ponderings about Full Synchro Flash
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:50:25 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Dirk Wright wrote:

> N*k*n used the brute
> force method and put really expensive shutters in thier cameras to get
> high sync speeds. Olympus went the other way and addressed the flash
> end of the problem.

Perhaps some of the more technically knowledgeable folks could correct
me if this is wrong, but the only way I can see that full synchro flash
could work with a focal plane shutter is by making the flash duration
very much longer than is usual for an electronic flash - about 1/30s in
fact, since *both* shutter curtains must move across whilst the flash is
producing light (and that's how long it takes for 1/60s exposure).
Since the traditional xenon flash lasts for about 1/10,000s, I think
Dirk has a bit of cheek calling Nikon's approach brute force ;)

Is there some system that changes the flash mode automatically at
exposure times of 1/60s or longer?  I guess there must be, otherwise
flash durations would have to be stupidly long.  So long you'd have to
call it a floodlight, not a flashgun.

> It would also be great to see Super FP in an olympus point 'n shoot.

I've a nasty feeling you'd drain a point & shoot's batteries v. quickly.
For that application, I think it would be better to just use a leaf
shutter and more traditional flash technology.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |