[OM] 65-200/4 + others

Subject: [OM] 65-200/4 + others
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 19:55:54 +0100
joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>the 100-200/5, in addition to being a mediocre lens, suffers from terrible
>zoom creep-- the zoom ring will move when the lens is pointed up at a
>45 degree angle.  both the 200/5 and 100-200/5 were designed as
>amateur-oriented lenses

Haven't used any of these myself, but the 100-200/5 was tested in a swedish
photomagazine in the 80-s and was considered the best of all tested, it
outperformed the Nikons, Canon's etc. Summary was "This lens delivers
absolutely firstclass results". On a 1-5 scale it was something like 4.8.
Drawbacks were slow-speed and 2.4 meter close-focus.

>Also the Vivitar lens supports close focus at all focal
>lengths in the zoom range, instead of just at 65mm like the Zuiko zoom.

No, the Zuiko supports close focus at 200mm only.

>I use the Vivitar zoom for closeups (sometimes with a Nikon 5T closeup
>lens on the front) set at 210mm when I need working distance for a
>closeup shot.  The 65-200/4 Zuiko is clearly inferior for this type of
>shot as a result.

Haven't tried with any closeup lens, but at the close focus setting (0.85
meter at 200mm) I really beg to differ. I have made hundreds and hundreds of
close ups this way, some sold, some have won major photo contests,
absolutely beautiful performance. A true macro lens would of course be
sharper at the edges but this is uninteresting since this focal length is
used for a very shallow DOF. If prime sharpness all over is your goal, go
for a 50macro instead, 10 times easier. Well at least that 's how I would
do, your milage may differ.

Ulf Westerberg
Nature- and Travel Photography at www.start.at/westerberg