[OM] Re: [OM} Zoom Question

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM} Zoom Question
From: k.berry@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 18:16:09 +0000

Frank Ernens wrote:

> I've used both the 35mm f/3.5-4.5 and f/4 lenses quite a bit.
> Here are some pros and cons:
>
> f/3.5-4.5
>     + compact, 49mm lens, excellent handling
>     - non-metal body, filter thread fiddly (use a brass-ringed hood)
>     + flare and ghosting resistance good for a zoom
>     + sharp (for a zoom)
>     - aperture ring should be slightly raised, easy to knock
>     zoom until used to it.
>     + parks at 50mm
>
> f/4
>     + solid construction
>     - unbalances camera
>     - prone to ghosting
>     + but flare good for a zoom
>     - fall-off wide open at 35mm
>     - fairly soft

Good summary. I still have both having bought the f4 new and the smaller
one used at a bargain price locally a few months ago. The f4 is less
fiddly when changing the controls by feel and is quite comfortable to
use as long as an auto winder is attached, when the assembly looks quite
impressive.

The f3.5-4.5 having the 49mm thread is easy to use reversed, when a
wide, but not easily predictable, range of magnifications can be
achieved and the results seem very good. When fitted to my OM-40 I can
just get it into its e.r.case but I need a zoom bag for the f4.

It is strange to think that both cover the same range when they are so
different in size.

> I sold the f/4 and kept the f/3.5-4.5.

I think I shall probably do the same eventually but saying goodbye to a
Zuiko isn't easy!

Regards,
Keith Berry