Re: [OM] On B&W, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] On B&W, etc.
From: "Windrim, Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 15:30:05 -0000
Cc: "'image66@xxxxxxx'" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Ken Norton wrote:

>> Well, it's been an interesting week here in Lake Wobegone... <SNIP>

Hi Ken, really enjoyed your posting. I too had my life changed by the
AA New Photography Series. At the moment I'm getting by with a film
scanner and inkjet while dreaming of a B&W darkroom, so I'm glad to
be able to live vacariously through your experiences.

>> Regarding negative films...  In the OM's I've mostly shot Ilford Pan-F
(ISO
>> 50) film.  It's grain is nearly identical to TMAX 100 in medium format.
>> The 11x14 prints in side by side comparison are a hard draw to tell the
>> difference, although the tonalities of the medium format are a shade
>> better.  (that contax is looking awefully good again...)

You're really saying that 35mm Pan-F almost matches 120 TMX? That's
encouraging as I've recently switched to Pan-F and HP5 (in Xtol) after years
of TMX and TMY (and FP4 before that), all in 35mm. Only once or twice was
I able to get quality from the TMAX films that was anywhere close to what
they are supposed to be capable of. Sloppy technique, I suspect.

It's hard to assess the results that I'm getting at the moment as the
scanner
seems to make the grain of B&W more visible than I would expect on a
conventional print, probably because it's designed primarily
for a dye image. Xtol negatives look lovely, though.

Please keep us posted on your B&W re-birth.

Regards,

Brian