Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 28-90

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 28-90
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 20:34:55 EST
Hans writes:

<< All Vivitar Series I lenses distinguish themselves from the mass bulk of
third
party lenses with very high mechanical and optical quality and refreshing
designs. >>

I'll take exception to the "high mechanical [quality]" part of that.  An
awful lot of used Series 1 lenses of all types found here in the desert
southwest have lazy diaphrams.  Local folks wise to used lenses agree with me
that their lubrication and diaphragms are substandard - at least for use in
hot environments.  They get heat stroke! You all would die to see what we
have collectively thrown out as "beyond economic repair."

Another problem is that once disassembled, Vivitar Series 1 zooms can easily
go out of tolerance with respect to infinity focus.  It is hard to find a
repair shop willing to take them on.

I suspect that in making them for private label, Kiron substituted inferior
diaphragms.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV