Re: [OM] Buyers beware of 1.35V Gamex Mercury cells GM625

Subject: Re: [OM] Buyers beware of 1.35V Gamex Mercury cells GM625
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 12:50:06 -0600
>Under load? Now, I'm no electrical engr. but AFAIK, the current required
>by the 1's meter is very small--so small, I think, that it would pose no
>/load/ to the batt to drop it's voltage down to ~1.35. IOW, methinks
>that's BS.

My Vartas measure just over 1.35vdc in the bubble pack.  I haven't measured
the resistance or current of the OM-1, but I'd say that inorder to get the
voltage to drop in a mercury cell from 1.48vdc down to 1.35 would require
quite the load.  So much so, in fact, that the battery would probably last
about an hour.

Trust me, they ain't no Mercury cells.

Ken Norton