[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1244

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1244
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:23:42 -0500
>Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:00:44 EST
>From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [OM] c2500 slow auto focus?
>
>In a message dated 11/16/1999 2:07:06 PM EST, wayne@xxxxxx writes:
>
>> I was at the camera store the other day checking out the latest Oly
>>  digital camera, the c2500. The store was using alkalines
>
>I don't have enough experience handling one, but my work just purchased a
>C2000 and if you keep the color screen on and use the camera, alkalines (and
>also the Olympus rechargables) will die IN TWENTY MINUTES! A major drag if
>you ask me.
>Just something to consider when considering going digital. And we lament
>excessive battery drain of some of our OMs!

This is a little overstated in my experience. The alkalines last for only
half an hour or so if you have the LCD display on, but the NiMH rechargeables
should last for more than 2 hours of continuous use if they've been charged
right. (You can get an idea of how much power the flourescent-light backlight
for the LCD takes by considering that the AC adaptor is rated upward of 1 amp.)

2 hours of continuous use with LCD translates to a full day shooting unless
you're too lazy to push the off button when you don't need the display; I
usually carry a spare set of batteries just to be sure. (I also keep the
accessory tube permanently mounted, which protects the lens assembly a
little)

I love shooting film, but as long as scanners with good contrast range
cost what they do, I'll be using the C2000 a lot.

paul

ObWeb: some pictures, mostly mediocre, up on photopoint at
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=41885  -- all olympus,
mostly C2000, some OM-2s/50/1.8 and 200/4, and a few (gasp) stylus.

Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx