Re: [OM] Tripods/Airlines

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripods/Airlines
From: George A <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:59:36 -0800
For several years, I've been putting my tripods in my checked baggage.
Never a problem.  Beats carrying the thing on/off the plane.

Also, I finally got fed up with lugging 40 or more pounds of camera gear
on and off the plane in my carryons. So, I'm giving up photography and
taking up pencil sketching.  Wanna buy some Zuikos?

Ha, OK, who bought it? Actually I've found a good solution finally, for
me at least.  I bought one of the hard-sided, watertight, lifetime
guarantee large-size Pelican cases.  It looks very much like an ordinary
hard suitcase with the pull-up handle and wheels and all.  But inside,
it has the photo-stlye padded/velcro dividers instead of Pelican's usual
'pick'n pluck' foam - yuck.

I've had a small Pelican for years.  Used it to hold camera gear for
whitewater trips in Idaho, Oregon and Cal. Twice it was on a raft that
flipped and was in the water for 20 mins or so.  Never a drop of water
inside.  These things are quality.

So, now when I fly, I'm going to check my camera gear. Most of it anyway
(I'll keep a body/lens/flash with me.)  Yup, it'll all go in there,
350/2.8 and all and I don't have any fear about doing it.  Except that
the case'll be overweight.

If you're curious about these cases, go here:
http://www.pelican.com/lgcases.htm

I've got the 1620.  The 1650 is just too big. Even for me.  The 1620 is
deep (12.625 inches) and has 4 sets of dividers - 2 upper and 2 lower. I
haven't yet packed it, but it'll probably hold all my 4x5  and 645 equip
along with probably 4 or 5 OMs plus a dozen Zuikos.  That oughtta do it,
eh?

George

<SNIP>