Re: [OM] defocussing to emphasise star-trail color?

Subject: Re: [OM] defocussing to emphasise star-trail color?
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:57:43 -0500
Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wondered:
Subject: [OM] defocussing to emphasise star-trail color?

> Would the shape of the aperture come into play or no? ........

I don't know if the aperture's shape or number of blades has any effect on
the bokeh of a defocussed star - I sincerely doubt it though.

> More importantly, I want to hear opinions/feedback on using this technique
> to capture the Leonid meteor shower. By setting the lens to just
> a little before infinity, the star point become little larger, bettering
> the color rendition. .......
>
> That's my theory. Correct or no?

Methinks not.  Defocussing the lens does a nice job of spreading the color
but at the huge expense of virtually everything else.  The idea for meteor
showers is to take lots of relatively short exposures and hope you get
lucky.  A strong bolide will record plenty wide, and sometimes in several
different colors, on film.  The limiting factor is sky fog, generally
dictitated by local levels of light pollution.  If you can see your buddy
from 10 feet away clearly enough to tell if their eyes are open of closed,
you have plenty of light pollution to deal with.  The longest exposure wide
open you can probably get is around 2-3 minutes.  More than that and all
you're making is junk.  Focus at infinity, let the stars trail, and pop off
lots of frames.  The luck is in the diligence.