Re: [OM] Slide duplication

Subject: Re: [OM] Slide duplication
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 22:15:10 -0500
Directly from Kodak's website:

To Make Color Internegatives From Color Slides

What KODAK film can I use to make color internegatives from my color slides
without going through balancing procedures?
If you do not want to use KODAK Commercial Internegative Film, you could use
KODAK VERICOLOR III Professional Film, Type S. Since you will pick up
contrast in making the internegative, you need to start with the lowest
contrast film possible. Keep in mind that this film is daylight balanced and
if used with photofloods will require filtration.

or:

KODAK Internegative Film SO-320
Commercial internegative film delivers superior color prints and display
images from KODACHROME, KODAK EKTACHROME and KODAK EKTACHROME LUMIERE Film
originals. Also good for reflection images. Features exceptional color
accuracy and improved reproduction of yellow-red colors and dark blue tones.
Great flesh-to-neutral reproduction. The improved color palate is ideal for
food, jewelry, beverage, and perfume images.

Available in long-roll and sheet sizes
Uses KODAK FLEXICOLOR Chemicals, Process C-41
KODAK Internegative Balancing Software (KIBS) speeds exposure balancing for
PC-equipped labs

The VPS III is the simpler route as it is much easier to find and color
balance with TTL flash is wonderfully easy.  I have used this combination
before and found adding several layers of diffusion material between the
flash and the slide copier softened the contrast build-up a little.  The
resulting internegative still has a contrast increase and is never as sharp
as the original.  For quick and dirty prints from slides, this works, but I
fear you may be disappointed in the print quality.  SO-320 is a special
order item in my part of the universe and available only in 100 ft. rolls.
A lot of film for a limited purpose.  Achieving proper color balance is a
trial and error and error procedure.  Once you get it, it is great stuff.
Less contrast build-up, but nearly the same sharpness loss as VPS III.  You
just can't beat a first generation image for crispness.

John P

Erwin Voogt <erwin.voogt@xxxxxx> asked: