Re: [OM] RE: olympus-digest V2 #1231

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: olympus-digest V2 #1231
From: "Larry G. Griffin" <l.g.griffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 23:46:42 -0800
John,
        Why did the techs find the nylon unacceptable?

        I picked up a Micro-Tools catalog at a local photo fair. They have a
battery cover removal tool $9 replacement tips $5.50. Essentially it's a
knurled shaft with a slot cut into the end of it. A wheel (material not
specified) slips into the slot secured by an axle through the shaft. The
picture doesn't give enough detail to determine what the axle might be.
>From what I can see I'm not impressed. Unless the wheel can be
tensioned. Otherwise if the shaft goes off center of the cover enough
you could find yourself pushing the shaft into the camera body.         For
simplicity sake I think the guitar pick is the best deal yet,
unfortunately not found in my usual pursuits. 8[ The reason everyone
uses a coin is because it's handy. Now if the thought can be entertained
for a special run of replacement battery covers. 8] Why a tool to
preserve what we already have. My Zuiks are better than coins. 8) A oval
shaft split down the center at the widest. A slot cut down each side
less than .075 for a .075 Delrin blade (thanks Tim). Tapered threads on
both ends to compress the shaft on the Delrin. Radius the end of the
shaft to the same radius as the slot in the battery cover so you cut the
Delrin to it. It will work I guarnteee you 8^)

Lots of smiley faces,
Larry