Re: [OM] Astrofest

Subject: Re: [OM] Astrofest
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 08:35:54
At 08:18 PM 11/9/99 +1100, Terry and Tracey wrote:

>Unfortunately, Kodak will no longer make the photo plates he needs. He is
>the only person on earth using this type of plate, and Kodak have kept the
>stuff availalbe as a support to the scientific community. But it's time is
>up. So he is going to CCD. I asked him if the quality was as good, he said
>nearly.

I hate to read stuff like this. This is another example of digital media
being applied to replace older technologies that are still superior. I was
just about going to ask what kind of quality could be achieved from glass
plates if a modern lens were used. Now, it appears that glass plate
photographic technology is going the way of the vacuum tube and open reel
magnetic tape.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright