Re: [OM] "Beating" on the ADITL2 shots...

Subject: Re: [OM] "Beating" on the ADITL2 shots...
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 20:10:52 +0000
At 18:18 11/5/99 , Chris Barker wrote:
>Does the "beating" effect on many of the ADITL2 shots come from the fact
that I
>am using only thousands of colours on my monitor?

Chris,
If what you are referring to by "beating" is noticeable color transitions,
example would be distinct bands of different shades of blue in a sky, then
it is likely true.  Just for curiosity sake I switched my desktop from
32-bit (millions) to 16-bit (thousands) to 8-bit (256) color depth which I
can do "on the fly."  Had to reload the page(s) going back up to 32-bit
afterwards

32-bit provides smooth, impreceptible color transition.  16-bit created
noticeable, distinct hue and shade transitions, particularly with sky where
the shades and hues change very gradually.  The 8-bit was quite surreal and
reminded me of the psychedelic light shows at the dances during the late
'60's and early '70's.  Timothy Leary would undoubtedly use 8-bit to view
the gallery (try it; it will either appear very ugly or maybe a little
entertaining).  Hope that helps.

-- John