Re: [OM] My Web Site

Subject: Re: [OM] My Web Site
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 17:38:28 -0700
At 01:50 PM 11/1/99 -0800, Charlie L. wrote:
>Could anyone give me some advice on how to make these photo's look better?
>(Digitally I mean)
>http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Hall/7283/
>I scanned the larger ones at 150dpi and then compressed them to 72dpi
>JPEG's.
>Otherwise they looked like those old digitized pictures.  I don't know the
>term.
>The small ones on page 1 are scanned at 72dpi and made into JPEG's also.
>I know the detail is going to suffer with scanning prints on a flatbed
>scanner.

Charlie:

In general, scan at the highest mechanical (that is, *non*-interpolated)
resolution your scanner supports.  Then save the image without any compression
whatsoever.  Forget about the dpi settings -- they're red herrings.  Just start
with as much actual image info as you can capture.  Then you can downsample
'em, and as a penultimate step, either apply light sharpening or use the
Unsharp Mask feature.  Finally, save the result without compression of any
kind, and then save it again (using a slightly different file name) with a
moderate amount of JPEG compression.  Now, compare the two, and see whether the
loss of image information in the compressed one is noticeable to your eye.  If
not, then you can do a little more compression -- if so, then you need to back
off a bit on the compression.

For a *fabulous* on-Web resource, try

   http://www.scantips.com/

The man who wrote this resource deserves a medal, or at least thousands of
copies of his book being sold.

Garth