[OM] NPS Report - divergent but on-topic

Subject: [OM] NPS Report - divergent but on-topic
From: "Chris Barker" <christopher.barker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 07:24:04 +0200
>    I thought with all of this concern about cars, that an article on
> a NPS report on Yellowstone pollution might help illustrate the
> complexity of the problem. I guess snowmobilers will be soon forced
> to ride the bus as well. :)
>     As far as the nastyness: Please think of the greater good, and let's
> try to keep personal battles off-list.
>                                     *= Doris Fang =*

[...]

>                Under the Clean Air Act, the National Park Service,
> as a federal land manager, has an affirmative responsibility to
> protect air quality related values--including visibility--from the
> adverse effects of air pollution in areas that are designated as
> "Class I." As directed by Congress, Class I areas are to be afforded
> the greatest degree of air quality protection and are permitted to
> have only very small amounts of air quality deterioration from new
> or modified major stationary sources.  Notwithstanding an area's
> designation under the Clean Air Act, NPS areas that have documented
> adverse effects due to air pollution must seek to mitigate or
> eliminate these impacts.

That's a responsibility that *we all* have IMHO.

[...]

>                                -NPS-

Thanks for that Doris

I agree with the nastiness part of your message, but then I have written on the
subject many times and I shall not bore the List again (is it possible to bore a
"list"?).

I must say that the report makes me worry about my 2-stroke leaf blower as well
:-( - I have many hardwoods in my garden which have done an excellent job of
carpeting the grass/moss of the lawn ;-)

Why do they not stop snowmobiles from entering the Park if there is such a
problem?  Or is this enshrined in the 5th Amendment?  Yes, yes I know this is
risky territory, firstly because I don't know if the 5th is the Freedom of
Expression one, secondly, because it is not my country (although it is Planet
Earth), thirdly because it is OT.

We visited Yellowstone (with my newly acquired OM4 and 3 lenses) in June 1990.
There was still snow around in places, the forests were still black in places
(from the fire 2 years previously) which contrasted beautifully with the fresh
green growth.  The morning and evening lights were quite gorgeous.  The best
thing, though, was the solitude.  We stood one morning looking over Yellowstone
Lake towards the Tetons and it struck me then that there was no indication of
civilisation, no vapour trails in the sky, no electricity pylons ... it was
beautiful and invigorating.  It was better than my first solo flight in a clean
F-16C with an enormous General Electric engine pumping out 29,000lbs of thrust
(pushing a 26,000lb aircraft!)  Yes, I know - Mr Ecological goes mad!

So please keep the parks going until we can afford to visit again - in low
season, with a 4-stroke, lean-burn emission-controlled engine and we will walk a
lot or bike I promise ;-)!

Chris

~~ ><>
Chris Barker