[OM] om-4 disaster continues!

Subject: [OM] om-4 disaster continues!
From: Chris C <yj.canavos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:23:51 -0400
I would like to thank all the list members who have supplied their input
so far.  I went out and purchased a set of 357 (aka sr44) silver oxide-
high drain use batteries. After placing them in my 4 there was no
improvement. The auto setting does not work. I believe that the otf
metering system was somehow disabled when I attached the t20 on the
hotshoe and the strablitz 2500btz to the sync socket at the same time?
I am assuming that oft metering does not come into play in the auto spot
mode and this is why this mode still seems to function.  The only modes
that do not work are the auto averaging mode and the auto flash mode,
both of which I assume use the otf metering.
I had used the t20 flash about 2 weeks ago on a om2s and it work
splendidly so I can't see how the flash could have caused the damage.
Remember, however, that when I first attached the t20 it would not fire
in auto mode and worked only in manual.  When it began to fire in auto
the oft stopped functioning.
Could I have disabled the otf with my flash set-up? When a flash is
attached to the sync cord is otf still functioning? If not, could i have
shorted the sync socket and as a result the camera thinks that there is
a flash permanently mounted to it??  Is there anything I can do to fix
this myslef.  If not, what does an average repair of this nature on an
om4 cost?
Returning the camera is unlikely since I don't have the name of the
dealer from which it was purchased (in my haste and temporary elation I
didn't even consider taking his info, and i basically knew that sales of
this type were final once you left the fair.)