[OM] Re: Leonids / OM1

Subject: [OM] Re: Leonids / OM1
From: Paul Tierney <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 12:58:50 +0100
> By the way the OM1 with its mirror lock up and
>lack of batteries to fail is a favorite of amature astronomers.
>
>Jerry Liles

It's also pretty good with fireworks (not back garden stuff but the real
thing). Use a fairly slow film - maybe 100, and an aperture of f11. The
exposure on this will be about 10 - 15 seconds. The exact exposure comes
through watching what's going on. Lots of shell bursts or some very bright
effects such as strobes will take less time. Likewise fountains, gerbs and
waterfalls. Comets, bombettes and stars from Roman Candles are less bright
but will still paint a good trail on the emulsion and a good composite
picture can be achieved.

There are some photos on http://www.fireworks.co.uk but their provenance is
unknown. Some of my OM1 shots of the Plymouth Fireworks Competition should
be going up in the next few weeks (the Hassie 500CM also has a mirror
lock-up and no batteries but mine met with an unfortunate accident at this
event).

- www.modus.co.uk - web design and publishing, domain names & mailing services.