Re: [OM] om-4 disaster?

Subject: Re: [OM] om-4 disaster?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 05:32:23 -0600
At 12:01 AM 10/18/99 -0400, Chris C wrote:

[snip]

>After removing the flash I found that
>the otf metering would no longer work.  In auto mode the shutter doesn't
>sync up to the indicated reading on the lcd.  If you were to spot meter
>in auto then the shutter does sync at the indicated time but, if for
>example the sutter speed is very slow, the shutter will not release when
>the camera is pointed into direct light or if the apperature is opened
>right up.
>What happened??? Am I scre*ed?  the fair is over and the dealer is
>already on his way back home to Edminton!
>Could it be that I have the wrong batteries in the camera, I was given 2
>duracell a76 button style batteries.

Chris:

Start by switching the batteries to two SR44 silver cells, like the machine was
built for.  A76 alkalines can't put out the current necessary to reliably fire
the shutter for *any* length of time (I know, I tried using 'em in my OM-4 and
the same problems showed up).  If they're absolutely fresh, you might get the
equivalent of a couple of rolls worth of firing time out of them, then the
weirdness begins because of the sloped discharge curve of the alkaline battery.

If that doesn't work, contact me in private e-mail and let me know who the
dealer was.  Since I live in Edmonton, I may be able to be a "local voice" here
to help you out.  ("Edminton?  Edminton?  Never heard of such a place!...")

Garth