Re: [OM] NASA OM-4T

Subject: Re: [OM] NASA OM-4T
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 22:09:23 EDT
In a message dated 10/16/1999 7:02:14 PM EST, wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Does anyone have any info on this camera? Why was it chosen over the usual
>  N*k*n Fwhatever camera? Does NASA still use them? Were they sold to the
>  public?

Maybe I erred in *assuming* some were modified to be used with gloves
(pressurized ones). The OMs were approved for Shuttle missions, and since
it's a shirtsleeve envioronment, (most times) you wouldn't necessarily be
wearing gloves while shooting pictures. I only reasoned that some would be
modified for use say, in the open cargo bay area. Maybe they stuck with their
modified Leicas and Hasselblads for that, but then they'd be bringing two or
three different cameras. Not likely where weight limits are very strict. Come
to think of it, I've never seen a NASA photo with an Olympus credit, just
Leica and 'Blads. Does anyone know anything about the use of the OMs, or was
it (mostly) an advertising gimmick by Olympus?

George S.