[OM] Working photojournalist using OM

Subject: [OM] Working photojournalist using OM
From: "gary edwards" <maitani@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 09:29:12 PDT
Campaign season has started so I was obliged last night to escort my
wife to a political do.  I don't complain too much since she is pretty
good about my Zuikoholism...

Paul Knutson of the Arlington (Texas) Morning News (a captive edition of
the Dallas Morning News) was working the event.  I enjoyed watching him
effortlessly work the banquet.  In a slack period, I interviewed him,
apparently a new experience for him.

Paul's been shooting OM since getting his first OM-1 (non-MD) in 1974.
He now has 19 OM bodies.  Last night he was working without a bag - just
3 bodies slung on his neck and shoulders and 4 Zuikos: 24/2.8, 35/2,
85/2, and (I think) a 200/4. The big lens was in an Olympus case, also
slung on his shoulder.  The OM-1, OM-1N, and OM-4T bodies obviously had
seen plenty of use, but his glass looked nice.  He takes pride in
shooting without autofocus, saying that it doesn't work where he needs
it anyway, and in using no zooms (Ah! a dinosaur like me!).  One body
was on a Motor Drive, the others on Winders.  No TTL flash, just a
hand-held Vivitar 283 with a card, a remote sensor slipped into each hot
shoe as he changed bodies, and a Quantum belt pack battery.  It was a
real treat watching the way he worked with all that gear slung on his
upper body.  I didn't see any missteps.

He was curious about the list so I am passing the OM list subscription
info to him.  It would be interesting to hear his views on making a
living with Olympus gear, if he cares to join us.

Gary Edwards
Arlington, Texas ("We ain't nobody's damned suburb!" Former Mayor
Richard Greene)