[OM] Star trails/Millennium plans

Subject: [OM] Star trails/Millennium plans
From: Gary Edwards <edwardsg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:13:18 -0500
Last weekend in the Ozarks I finally had an opportunity to try shooting
star
trails.  Good and dark way out in the hills, with a crescent moon, so I
set
up an OM-4T with a 50/1.8 and ISO 100 negative film.  Since I didn't
remember any of the good advice offer in the list recently, the first
night I left
it out for an hour at f/2.8.  Next morning, the camera cells were quite
dead.  I replaced them and shot again the following night for an hour at

f/8.  The f/8 shot came out better, but since the automatic printer was
in
the loop, it isn't clear yet which was really the better exposure.
Lessons
learned: use the OM-1 so you don't finish off a set of silver cells; and
get
in a little more open country so you can get more foreground subject in,
in
this case a cedar tree.  A powerful flashlight helped lighting the tree
so I
could frame it. The sky was so full of stars that I couldn't pick out
Polaris to put it in the frame - embarrassing, but I claim Ursa Major
was
hidden below the treeline!  Unfortunately, no meteors.  At any rate, the

stars really do have color that your eyes miss.

I'm planning to try again after midnight on New Years - after the power
grid
fails the sky should be nice and dark even at home near the city. ;-)

Gary Edwards